17 Haziran 2012 Pazar

Impression: Quassy/Lake Compounce

To contact us Click HERE


To be honest, I never had much of an interest in Quassy until they added WoodenWarrior. To me, it seemed a little lame, with nothing more than two rickety oldcoasters and some standard kiddie rides. I'll be frank and say that I onlyspent an hour there, so this is really going to be more of a Wooden WarriorImpression. What I did see of the park looked nice, however. I really wouldhave liked to try some of the rides if I had had time, but we only had a shortamount of time. I'll quickly summarize my experience on Little Dipper as roughand unpleasant, and now I'll move on to Wooden Warrior.


This was really the reason we came. This would be my first Gravity Group coaster, and Iwanted to try out the Timberliners to see if they were as nice as the company wasmaking them out to be. Naturally, this was where we headed first upon enteringthe park. Despite a full parking lot, there was no more than a 5 minute wait,so I eagerly took the front row and waited the extra cycle or two. First ofall, the trains look great. They're very different, but they still look classyin their own unique way. Sitting down in them feels great, and you caninstantly tell that you're in for a smooth ride.

We were out of the station in less than a minute, and up the lift hill. Not much of aclimb, as we were soon at the top. After the nice little dip, we hurtled downthe deceptively large drop and into a little turn. We hit some good airtime inhere, before entering the turnaround in the tunnel and riding through anotherstretch of bunny hills on the way back. Just one short hop around the station,a turn, and we hit the break run. It's a very short ride, but it is a lot offun. The ride is wonderfully smooth, the drop is surprisingly thrilling, andthe airtime is really good also. Definitely a winner for Quassy, and a top-tenwoodie for me.


We finished up with a ride on Little Dipper and headed out. Within half an hour or so, Icould see Lake Compounce over the tree line. It took another 15 minutes or soto get into the place though, as our navigation didn't know where it was andthe parking lot was completely full. The park is hidden back in the trees,which makes it kind of odd not to see it from the parking lot.

Within a few minutes, we had purchased our tickets and were inside the park. Directly infront of us was Wildcat, and the rest of the park seemed to be built around it.We started by going to the right to try to get a ride on Kiddie Coaster andZoomerang. I wanted to get Kiddie Coaster out of the way, but unfortunately I wastoo tall to ride without a child. The humiliation began as I struggled to finda person that would let me ride with their kid. Fortunately I did find a nicelittle girl to ride with, and it was her first time as well. There's not muchto say about the coaster though - frankly, it was a little rough but not nearlyas bad as Little Dipper. Moving on...

When we arrived at Zoomerang, we were greeted with a closed ride. Ugh. We walked backdown past Revolution, the new Disk-O that we happily skipped, and this timewent the other way around Wildcat. The waterpark looked like a lot of fun, butit was too cold to stop and check it out. We did, however, stop to takeadvantage of the free soft drinks, which was very nice! Wildcat's line was not,however, and I reluctantly committed to waiting 30 minutes for a coaster thatdidn't turn out to be that good. The way they were running it was so that Ididn't have much choice in where I sat. I ended up somewhere near the middle,if I remember correctly. As we departed the station, I could immediately feelthe coaster shuffling and it was already a little rough. We reached the top ofthe lift pretty quickly, and we immediately took off into this pile of wood.The drop and turnaround weren't particularly good, there was no airtime on anyof the following hills. Wildcat is a below-average coaster. The ride itself isnot very exciting, and then when you add the roughness, you really start towonder why you rode it.

I needed to ride Zoomerang next in order to make Boulder Dash my 150th coaster. I wasbeginning to get a little worried, however, that I hadn't seen Boulder Dashrunning yet, so we stopped by the entrance to the ride where a small crowd hadgathered. From what we heard, the ride was shut down because some idiot haddecided to throw a cigarette down near the ride. They were in the process ofmaking sure there wouldn't be any problems.

Not wanting to sit around wait, we headed down the hill towards Zoomerang. We passedEnterprise and a really nice looking Pirate Ship, and were greeted at theentrance with a short 15 minute wait. I could deal with that, but luckily theyneeded a single rider, so I got on in about 10. Maybe it was just me, butZoomerang was a lot of fun. Like, more so than most boomerangs. Maybe the dropreally got me, but it seemed faster, more intense, and (dare I say it) smootherthan most. It's still not a marquee attraction, but definitely better thanKiddie Coaster or Wildcat. Fortunately, just up the hill was American Flyers,which I really wanted to try. It was my first time riding a Flyers ride, and Iwas excited. Once the ride got going I managed to get the hang of the flapthing. I couldn't quite get it to snap, but it was really moving.










We had to start wrapping it up after that, as it was getting later and we had alreadybought tickets to Harry Potter later that evening. Boulder Dash was next andwould be my 150th coaster - that is, if it was open. As we reached the top ofthe hill, the full queue told me that it was not only running, but wouldprobably be the last ride of the night. I would have liked to get a ride in theback row, but my single ride in the front would do. The lift hill issurprisingly tall for being a terrain coaster, but we were at the top soonenough. After a short dip and turn, we took off down that swooping drop,pulling up at the bottom and flying up over the lift and past the station. Ohmy god, this ride is fast! We jogged around the hills a bit, but the best partwas yet to come. We soared over the following hills, hitting extreme ejectorairtime on each and every one. This is how a wooden coaster should feel. Aftergoing on for what seemed like forever, we slowed down a bit and turned around,before entering the last stretch of bunny hills before the station. I was outof my seat the whole time, and as we slammed into the break run my mouth wasdry and my hair a mess. This is the best wooden roller coaster I've been on,and quite possibly better than my top steel coasters. This was everything acoaster should be - intense and airtime filled, fast and long. I'm going tohave a very hard time finding a coaster that tops Boulder Dash.


As we got off the ride, I headed down towards the bunny hill section to try to snap somepictures. Unfortunately, I didn't get any as the ride shut down again. Lucky us- we just barely made it on! The last stop of the night was Potato Patch, whichsomehow I forgot about at Kennywood. We tried the regular kind, and they werepretty good. In my book, they weren't quite as amazing as some have said, butthey were good and fresh, and the perfect way to end the day. I think it'sfairly obvious that Boulder Dash was the highlight of the trip. Wooden Warriorwas a very good second, and Zoomerang was great fun as well. Both parks are socute and quaint, the atmosphere is amazing. I absolutely can't wait to visitboth Quassy and Lake Compounce again!

Overall Quassy Rating: 7/10 Stars
Overall Lake Compounce Rating: 8.5/10 Stars

To view all Quassy Photos, click here.
To view all Lake Compounce Photos, click here.


Tweet

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder